CERS Update for LEA Coordinators
ELPAC email update, January 30, 2024.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator or LEA ELPAC Coordinator:
The CDE is sending the following updates and reminders for LEA coordinators to share regarding the California Educator Reporting System (CERS).
Updated CERS User Guide
The CERS User Guide has been updated! The user guide describes CERS features and provides detailed instructions for using each feature. The CERS User Guide is for all educators who use CERS for timely and accurate reports on student performance on state summative and interim assessments.
New CAST and ELPAC Interim Assessment Information in CERS
In October 2023, the California Science Test (CAST) and English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) Interim Assessments joined the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments for English language arts (ELA) and mathematics as optional, state-provided, interim assessments.
For these state-provided interim assessments, CERS displays a number of data elements including individual and aggregate scores, achievement/performance levels, key/distractor analysis for multiple-choice and multi-select items, depth of knowledge/performance level descriptors for items, and item content standard alignment.
In addition, as of January 26, 2024, the following item-level information is available in CERS for the CAST and ELPAC Interim Assessments:
- Item viewer—displays a static image of the test item the student sees while taking the assessment.
- Student Points and Responses—shows the maximum available item points, the student's points (i.e., score), the student's response, and the answer choice(s) selected if applicable for the specific item (see note below).
- Rubric and Exemplar—displays correct answer for the item (key), the rubric (if applicable), and/or links to additional item information in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS). See note below about exemplars for constructed response items.
Please note the following exceptions:
- ELPAC Interim Assessments—Speaking and K–2 Writing student responses do not display in CERS as they are not recorded in the Test Delivery System.
- ELPAC Interim Assessments—Speaking items do not display directly in CERS with the prompts. Instead, CERS provides links to this information in the secure materials in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS). The California Department of Education (CDE) is working with ETS on options to be able to offer this feature directly in CERS and will keep you apprised.
- ELPAC Interim Assessments—some Listening and Reading items display extraneous test examiner instructions in CERS. The CDE will announce when these instructions are removed from CERS.
- CAST and ELPAC Interim Assessments—Exemplars for constructed-response items do not yet display in CERS. CERS displays links to information in the secure materials in TOMS. The CDE will announce when these exemplars are available directly in CERS.
In late summer/early fall 2024, CERS will have Individual Student Reports (ISRs) for the CAST and ELPAC Interim Assessments, and form II for these assessments is scheduled for release. The CDE will provide updates as these are made available.
Registration Now Open for More CERS Trainings!
To support LEAs in the use of CERS, the CDE will be offering the following CERS trainings in the coming months:
- CERS–Beyond the Basics for Teachers (February and March)
- CERS–Beyond the Basics for Coordinators and Administrators (March)
- Accessing Summative Results in CERS (May)
Registration details can be found on the Upcoming Training Opportunities web page .
Please note: These trainings will build upon the summer and fall 2023 Introduction to CERS trainings. It is highly recommended that participants have a basic understanding of CERS before attending the "Beyond the Basics" training. Materials and recordings for the 2023–24 Introduction to CERS for Teachers and the 2023–24 Introduction to CERS for Test Coordinators and Administrators trainings are available for review.
If you have any questions about these trainings, please contact Nikki Antonovich, Coordinator, Sacramento County Office of Education by email at email@example.com.
For general questions about CERS, your LEA's designated Success Agent is available. Designated LEA Success Agent contact information can be located on the California Outreach web page.
California Outreach Team