Students with specific learning needs may require accessibility resources to fully engage and demonstrate mastery of content during instruction and on assessments. To better serve them, the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC), including the Alternate ELPAC, provides a wide range of resources to ensure that the administration of the test meets the needs of all students, including those with disabilities. The California Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix displays the embedded and non-embedded universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations allowed as part of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) and ELPAC systems for 2020–21.
Teachers are encouraged to review these resources early in the school year and provide opportunities for students to experience them throughout the year in classroom instruction and assessment. Some resources are embedded into the technology platform for computer-administered tests. Others are considered non-embedded, since they are provided by the local educational agency.
The Importance of Implementing CAASPP and ELPAC Accessibility Resources: Voices from Educators (Video; 08:31) focuses on our conversations with California educators to learn more about the importance of implementing accessibility resources for assessments. This training video serves as a starting point for staff who are developing accessibility processes and deciding how to implement accessibility resources for students.
Types of Student Accessibility Resources
- Universal tools are available to all students on the basis of student preference and selection.
- Designated supports are available to all students when determined for use by an educator or team of educators (with parent/guardian and student input, as appropriate) or specified in the student's individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan.
- Accommodations must be permitted to all eligible students taking CAASPP and ELPAC tests if specified in the student's IEP or Section 504 plan.
- Unlisted resources are not universal tools, designated supports, or accommodations. Unlisted resources shall be made available if specified in the eligible student's IEP or Section 504 plan and only with approval from the California Department of Education (CDE).
To preview these student accessibility resources in the test delivery system, visit the Embedded Universal Tools, Designated Supports, and Accommodations Video Tutorials web page.
Test Administration Manuals and Administrative Tools
- 2019–2020 CAASPP and ELPAC Accessibility Guide for Online Testing (Updated 04/20/20)
- 2020–2021 Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) Tool (Posted 08/25/20)
- 2020–2021 Student Test Assignment Template for Batch Upload (Posted 08/25/20)
- 2020–2021 ELPAC Online Student Test Settings Template (Posted 08/19/20)
- ELPAC Accessibility Resources for Operational Testing (Updated 10/31/19)
- ELPAC Test Navigation Assistant and Designated Interface Assistant Use Scenarios (Posted 12/05/19)
- Effective Use of Accessibility Resources (Posted 10/18/19)
- Unlisted Resources Web page (Posted 01/22/20)
- ELPAC Non-Embedded ASL Guidelines (Posted 02/04/20)
- Guidance on Using Eye-Gaze as a Response Method (Posted 10/27/20)
California Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix and Student Assessment Accessibility Graphics
- CA Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix , a CDE web page, with information about universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations (embedded and non-embedded).
- Student Accessibility Resources , a CDE web page, with information about California Student Assessment Accessibility graphics, available on the CDE include one-page graphics that show which accessibility resources are available on each assessment.
- Available Resources for the Individualized Education Program Teams That Support Student Participation in Statewide Testing
Accessibility Training Videos
- Importance of Implementing CAASPP and ELPAC Accessibility Resources: Voices from Educators (Video; 08:31) (Posted 04/16/20)
- Configuring Student Test Settings One-by-One in TOMS (Video; 3:02) (Posted 11/20/19)
- Configuring Online Student Test Settings By Batch File Upload (Video; 3:19) (Posted 11/20/19)
- Requesting an Unlisted Resource in TOMS (Video; 10:11) (Posted 03/18/20)
Translated Test Directions
- Arabic (Posted 12/30/19)
- Armenian (Posted 12/30/19)
- Chinese Traditional (Posted 11/18/19)
- English template (Posted 12/19/19)
- Farsi (Posted 12/30/19)
- Hindi (Posted 12/30/19)
- Hmong (Posted 12/30/19)
- Japanese (Posted 12/30/19)
- Khmer (Posted 12/30/19)
- Korean (Posted 12/30/19)
- Mandarin (Posted 12/30/19)
- Punjabi (Posted 12/30/19)
- Russian (Posted 12/30/19)
- Spanish (Posted 11/18/19)
- Tagalog (Posted 12/30/19)
- Telugu (Posted 12/30/19)
- Urdu (Posted 12/30/19)
- Vietnamese (Posted 11/18/19)
2020–2021 CAASPP and ELPAC Special Request for Paper Exams
Please visit the 2020–2021 CAASPP and ELPAC Special Request for Paper Exams web form to request CAASPP and ELPAC braille, large-print, or paper–pencil assessments for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan.