Access Electronic Student Score Reports (SSRs) Using a Locally Provided Parent or Student Portal
California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) SSRs can be provided electronically using a locally provided parent or student portal. View the Electronic Student Score Reports Benefits English Flyer and the Electronic Student Score Reports Benefits Spanish Flyer to learn more about the benefits of electronic SSRs.
Electronic Score Reporting Video
This video provides an introduction to electronic score reporting and an overview of its benefits. You can view this video online or download it. If a local educational agency (LEA) plans to provide SSRs electronically through a locally provided parent or student portal, consider downloading and posting this video to that website to communicate with parents and guardians about electronic SSRs.
- View the Introduction to Electronic Score Reporting video.
- Download the Electronic Score Reporting Video Transcript
- Download the Introduction to Electronic Score Reporting video by selecting the download arrow in the upper-right corner of the viewing window.
Preparing to Provide SSRs Using a Parent or Student Portal
LEAs that are planning to provide all or some SSRs to parents and guardians using a locally provided parent or student portal can prepare by completing the following steps:
- Contact a vendor to activate a parent or student portal if a portal is available and is not active.
- Ensure that as many parents and guardians as possible have access to the locally provided parent or student portal.
- View the Vendor Integration web page to ensure your parent or student portal vendor has successfully implemented electronic reporting. Contact the California Technical Assistance Center if your vendor is not on the list.
- Ensure parent/guardian residential addresses are updated through the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) regularly to ensure accuracy. The residential address from CALPADS will be displayed on the SSR.
- Engage parents in the use of the parent or student portal by actively providing relevant information such as assignments, grades, and attendance information.
- Research, develop, and implement a plan to increase parent or student portal usage over time.
Establishing Credentials for Secure Transmission of SSRs
To establish a secure connection between the Test Operation Management System (TOMS) and your locally provided parent or student portal, LEA coordinators must first establish credentials (i.e., a username and password) that can be provided to the LEA’s parent or student portal vendor.
Important Note: To maintain security, credentials must be reset annually to continue seamless distribution of SSRs. Email reminders will be sent two weeks, one week, three days, and one day prior to expiration of the credentials. Credentials can be reset at any time; however, LEA CAASPP and LEA ELPAC coordinators should communicate with each other before resetting credentials.
- How to Generate Credentials for Student Information System Vendors (Posted 01/31/20)
- How to Regenerate Credentials for Student Information System Vendors (Posted 01/31/20)
Information for Parent Portal Vendors
Amazon Web Services (AWS)—with the Amazon Simple Storage Service and the Amazon Key Management Service—provides encrypted access for parents and guardians to view their child’s electronic SSR, which is available as a PDF.
- Application Programming Interface (API) Specifications for parent or student portal vendors. (Updated 03/20/20)
Information for Parent/Guardians
LEA staff will need to communicate with parents/guardians about the new process for accessing the SSR. To assist with your LEA’s communication efforts, the following resource is available that can be used with or modified for use with parents/guardians:
- View the Electronic Student Score Reports Communications Toolkit to learn more about how to communicate this transition to parents and guardians.