ELPAC: August Monthly Update
ELPAC email update, August 1, 2023.
This communication includes information about the Initial, Summative, Initial Alternate, and Summative Alternate ELPAC.
To assist the CALPADS coordinator in preenrolling students over the summer, LEA ELPAC coordinators should provide the CALPADS coordinator with a list of students who must take the Initial ELPAC or Initial Alternate ELPAC.
For your information, and as stated in the CALPADS Flash #219 , CALPADS coordinators must submit the following information to preenroll students and generate SSIDs for newly enrolled students:
- A Student Enrollment (SENR) record with the student's expected first day of school
- A Student Information (SINF) record with the student's address. This file is important if the LEA wants the student address to be printed on the Student Score Report (SSR) to facilitate mailing the SSRs to parents/guardians.
- Student English Language Acquisition (SELA) records with an English Language Acquisition Status (ELAS) of To Be Determined (TBD), a primary language other than English or American Sign Language, and an ELAS Start Date on or after July 1, 2023, if testing during the summer.
ELPAC Administration for Transitional Kindergarten Students
For 2023–24, LEAs are required to administer the Initial ELPAC or Initial Alternate ELPAC to all eligible students enrolled in kindergarten—including students in transitional kindergarten (TK), which is defined as year one of a two-year kindergarten program. LEAs will continue to follow the same process for identifying potential English learner (EL) students and annually assessing EL students.
TK students' grade level will be converted to kindergarten during the nightly CALPADS feed to the Test Operations Management System (TOMS). These students will appear in TOMS as kindergarten and will have the TK indicator flag set to Y (Yes). This flag will be available within several of the TOMS reports to assist with monitoring testing progress at the local level.
Changes to the Test Administrator Interface
The test administrator (TA) interface has been updated to a cleaner, more user-friendly appearance. This includes a new functionality that will allow specific students to be pinned to the top of the page while monitoring testing. For questions or guidance, contact your Success Agent .
Changes to Ending a Test in the Test Delivery System
The process of ending a test in the student testing interface has been streamlined. The [End Test] button will no longer be used as part of the process to submit a test. Instead, when the [Next] button is selected on the final item of a test, students will be taken straight to the Test Review screen where answers can be reviewed. Then students will select the [Submit Test] button and the [Yes] button to confirm to end the test as usual.
2023–24 Administration: Teacher Hand Scoring System Update
The Teacher Hand Scoring System (THSS) has been enhanced with new navigation and communication features. New enhancements and features include the following:
- The dashboard now displays all assessments that require hand scoring along with the number of students and items that require scoring.
- Scorers can comment on student responses or assessments before assigning the assessment to another scorer.
- User interface design changes were made to the scoring and related materials page to enhance the overall user experience.
Detailed information on the THSS can be found in the Using the Directions for Administration (DFA) section of the Initial ELPAC Online Test Administration Manual , as well as in the THSS video in the Initial ELPAC Test Examiner Training and Calibration course on the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) .
Initial Alternate ELPAC Test Assignment
The Initial Alternate ELPAC opened on July 5, 2023. Every eligible student must be assigned to take the Initial Alternate ELPAC in TOMS. Because a newly enrolled student must be assessed with an initial assessment within the first 30 calendar days, the student may not have an individualized education program (IEP) designating the student to take an alternate assessment prepared in time. In these instances, the student should be assessed with the Initial ELPAC using universal tools and designated supports as appropriate. If the IEP team determines at a later date that the student is eligible to take alternate assessments and the student is identified as an EL, the student should be assigned the Summative Alternate ELPAC.
LEA ELPAC Coordinator Designation
The deadline to select LEA ELPAC coordinators ended April 1. If an LEA ELPAC coordinator was not designated, TOMS has automatically assigned the LEA superintendent as the LEA coordinator. If a primary coordinator was not designated, then the first created LEA coordinator was automatically designated as the primary coordinator in TOMS. The LEA superintendent can update this designation after the automatic designation if needed. After July 5, 2023, superintendents and the primary LEA ELPAC coordinator will be able to add and delete additional LEA ELPAC coordinator roles in TOMS.
Early August: Prepare for Summative Alternate ELPAC SSR Electronic Distribution
The 2022–23 Summative Alternate ELPAC SSRs will be available in early August. Ensure SSRs are populated in the student information system for the correct students in a timely manner, as outlined on the SSR Options web page. Ensure the SSRs are properly displayed, parents/guardians can access the SSRs, and they can access only the scores for their own children. Parents/Guardians must be notified of their child's results within the first 15 working days of the new academic year. The SSRs may be combined with the annual parent/guardian notification letters for students taking the alternate assessments. Sample letters are available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Parent Notification web page.
August: Final Release of Summative ELPAC and Summative Alternate ELPAC SSRs
The final release of any remaining Summative ELPAC and Summative Alternate SSRs for all grades—including kindergarten through grade two Writing Answer Books sent to ETS by June 16, 2023—will occur in August.
August 1: Complete Security Forms in TOMS
Ensure that the superintendent has designated an LEA ELPAC coordinator for 2023–24. LEA ELPAC coordinators should add site coordinators and test examiners and remind users that they will need to log on to TOMS to complete the security affidavit and security agreements for 2023–24.
August 4: Initial ELPAC AST LEA Certification Deadline
The mandatory 2023–24 Initial ELPAC Administration and Scoring Training (AST) is available in Moodle . Pursuant to California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 5, 11518(l), Initial ELPAC LEA certification or verification must be completed by August 4, 2023. Follow-up communications with coordinators will occur in September, and if training is not completed, superintendents will be notified.
August 18: Initial Alternate ELPAC AST LEA Certification Deadline
The Initial Alternate ELPAC AST is available in Moodle . Pursuant to CCR, Title 5, 11518(l), Initial Alternate ELPAC LEA certification must be completed by August 18, 2023, and is only required for LEAs with eligible students. Follow-up communications with coordinators will occur in September, and if training is not completed, superintendents will be notified.
To register or locate additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the ELPAC Upcoming Training Opportunities web page.
August 2: Introduction to CERS for Teachers
This training is designed for LEA staff who have or will have access to the California Educator Reporting System (CERS) assessment results (i.e., teachers who have students rostered in the system and other LEA staff who are interested in using CERS). This session will include opportunities for attendees to practice using various features of CERS. An additional session of the same training will be available on October 24. To register, visit the Introduction to CERS for Teachers Registration web page.
August 3, 10, and 17: Assessment and Accountability Information Meeting (AAIM)
Register now for the 2023–24 AAIM , hosted by the CDE. These two-hour meeting sessions will provide coordinators with the latest information and updates on California's assessment and accountability systems.
The sessions, which will be presented virtually, will be held weekly on three afternoons in August, from 2 to 4 p.m. The dates and topics are as follows:
- August 3: General assessment updates, national and international tests, Physical Fitness Test, high school equivalency, English language arts/literacy and mathematics summative assessments, and the California Spanish Assessment (CSA)
- August 10: California Science Test (CAST), ELPAC, and Interim and formative assessments
- August 17: Accountability
August 8: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
August 23: Charter School Assessment Coordinator Network Meeting, 9:30–11 a.m.
Registration is now open to all for the August 2023 Charter School Assessment Coordinator Network Meeting . If you are wondering how other charter schools handle statewide assessment administration or are simply looking to connect with other charter school assessment coordinators, this meeting is for you! Space is limited so save your spot today.
Apply Now for Fall Educator Opportunities Meetings
These meetings are for educators who want to be involved in the development and review of test questions for California assessment programs. Some upcoming opportunities include the Item Review Meetings, during which educators review items for issues related to content, bias, and sensitivity that may affect the performance of particular groups of students. Item Review Meetings for both the ELPAC and the Alternate ELPAC will be held in the afternoons in the upcoming months:
- Alternate ELPAC Item Review Meeting—April 23–25, 2024, after school.
To apply for meetings, go to the Educator Opportunities Portal . If you do not have an Educator Opportunities Portal account, you will need to create an account via the Educator Opportunities Portal Account Creation Form in the Educator Opportunities Database. If you have any questions, please contact the Educator Opportunities Team by phone at 916-228-2682 or by email at email@example.com.
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
- New: ELPAC Scoring and Reporting Guide
- New Checklists (added to the following pages)
- Updated for 2023–24: Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile Tool User Guide
- New PowerPoint documents added to the ELPAC Score Reporting web page:
- Talking to Educators About the ELPAC
- Talking to Parents About the ELPAC
- Charla con los padres acerca de las ELPAC
The following live trainings were recently posted and are now available on the ELPAC Asynchronous Training Opportunities web page:
- CAASPP and ELPAC Reporting Results Webinar
- June 2023 Coffee Session
Web Page Updates
- The CAASPP Interim Assessments Administration Resources web page has been updated to include information about the upcoming CAST Interim Assessments.
- The ELPAC Interim Assessments Administration Resources web page is now available and will be updated with more information and resources as they become available.
SSR Electronic Distribution
Ensure SSRs are populated in the student information system for the correct students in a timely manner, as outlined in the Options for Distributing SSRs chapter of the ELPAC Scoring and Reporting Guide . Ensure that the SSRs are properly displayed, that parents and guardians can access the SSRs, and that they can access only the scores for their own children.
Scoring Job Opportunities
ETS accepts applications for scorers. This is an excellent opportunity for educators to become more familiar with the new generation of California assessments. Scoring schedules are flexible and can include four-, six-, and eight-hour weekday or weekend shifts. California educators interested in applying can view more information on the Online Scoring web page. Questions about the application or hiring process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org . Current scorers can reach out to email@example.com for any scoring-related questions.
Previous ELPAC Monthly Communications
Previous ELPAC monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the ELPAC Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to email@example.com.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant for LEA help, which is available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page