ELPAC: August Monthly Update
ELPAC email update, August 1, 2022.
ELPAC Communication: August 2022
This communication includes information about the Initial, Summative, and Alternate ELPAC.
Initial Alternate ELPAC Test Assignment
The Initial Alternate ELPAC administration window opened on July 5, 2022. Remember that every eligible student must be assigned to take the Initial Alternate ELPAC in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS); otherwise, the eligible students not assigned to the Initial Alternate ELPAC will be automatically assigned to the Initial ELPAC.
Because a newly enrolled student must be assessed with an initial assessment within the first 30 calendar days, the student may not have an individualized education program (IEP) designating the student to take an alternate assessment prepared in time. In these instances, the student should be assessed with the Initial ELPAC using universal tools and designated supports as appropriate. If the IEP team determines at a later date that the student is eligible to take alternate assessments and the student is identified as an English learner, the student can be assigned the Summative Alternate ELPAC.
To assist the CALPADS coordinator in preenrolling students over the summer, LEA ELPAC coordinators should provide them with a list of students who must take the Initial ELPAC or Initial Alternate ELPAC.
As stated in the CALPADS Flash #219 , CALPADS coordinators must submit the following information to preenroll students and generate SSIDs for newly enrolled students:
- A Student Enrollment (SENR) record with the student's expected first day of school
- A Student Information (SINF) record with the student's address
- Student English Language Acquisition (SELA) records with
- an English Language Acquisition Status (ELAS) of To Be Determined,
- a primary language other than English or American Sign Language, and
- an ELAS Start Date on or after July 1, 2022, if testing during the summer.
August 1: Complete Security Forms in TOMS
Ensure that the superintendent has designated an LEA ELPAC coordinator for 2022–23. LEA ELPAC coordinators should add site coordinators and test examiners and remind users that they will need to log on to TOMS to complete the security affidavit and security agreements for 2022–23.
August 5: Initial ELPAC AST LEA Certification Deadline
The mandatory 2022–23 Initial ELPAC Administration and Scoring Training (AST), available in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) , includes new and improved content and organization based on feedback from the field. Initial ELPAC LEA certification or verification must be completed by August 5, 2022. The training binder remains unchanged. LEAs with a new coordinator or trainer may request printed copies of the training binder on the AST website.
August 12: Initial Alternate ELPAC AST LEA Certification Deadline
The Initial Alternate ELPAC AST is available in Moodle . Initial Alternate ELPAC LEA certification must be completed by August 12, 2022, and is only required for LEAs with eligible students. Which training course an LEA needs to take is based on whether the LEA ELPAC coordinator or designee has been previously certified or is new.
To register or find additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the ELPAC Training Opportunities web page.
August 4, 11, and 18: AAIM, 2–4 p.m.
Registration is now open for the 2022 Assessment and Accountability Information Meeting (AAIM), hosted by the California Department of Education (CDE). The two-hour sessions will provide coordinators with the latest information and updates on California's assessment and accountability systems. Send questions in advance by submitting them on an AAIM Q&A Form and register on the 2022 AAIM Webinar Registration web page .
August 9: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
New Date! Coffee Sessions will occur every second Tuesday of the month. Register now on the 2022–23 Coffee Sessions registration web page. Use the 2022–23 CAASPP–ELPAC Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
September 8: Pretest Virtual Training Series
The first two-hour Pretest Virtual Training Series session, Preparing for Testing, will help LEA coordinators plan for the administration of the CAASPP and ELPAC Summative assessments, prepare to administer interim assessments, develop plans for data quality checks, and prepare LEA systems for testing. Send questions in advance by submitting them on a Pretest Virtual Training Series Q&A Form . Registration coming soon.
September 22: New Coordinator Training Webinar #2, 3–4 p.m.
This webinar provides new coordinators information on accessibility resources and the coordinator role in relation to accessibility, as well as a question and answer session with experienced coordinators.
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
- Initial Alternate ELPAC Test Administration Manual web document
- CAASPP and ELPAC Security Incidents and Appeals Procedure Guide web document
- Pause Rules Guide web document
- Expiration Rules Guide web document
Web Page Updates
- ELPAC: Planned System Downtime web page
- How to Enter Student Test Assignments by Batch File Upload (Video: 05:05) video
- How to Enter Student Test Assignments One by One (Video: 04:20) video
Confirm the Accuracy of Role Designations in the CSD
The TOMS superintendent role is automatically assigned to LEA superintendents and charter school administrators listed in the California School Directory (CSD). Administrators of direct funded charter schools should ensure that the person named in the Administrator field in the CSD is the primary site administrator for the school with the authority to designate such roles as LEA ELPAC coordinator.
Important: Designate LEA ELPAC Coordinators for New LEAs
Newly formed LEAs will not be able to perform necessary administrative duties, such as order test materials or create testing sessions, until the LEA ELPAC coordinator is designated by the person assigned the superintendent role.
Previous ELPAC Monthly Communications
Previous ELPAC monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the ELPAC Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to email@example.com.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant, available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages for LEA help. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page