ELPAC: July Monthly Update
ELPAC email update, July 5, 2022.
ELPAC Communication: July 2022
This communication includes information about the Initial, Summative, and Alternate ELPAC.
Initial Alternate ELPAC Test Assignment
The Initial Alternate ELPAC opens on July 5, 2022. Every eligible student must be assigned to take the Initial Alternate ELPAC in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS). Because a newly enrolled student must be assessed with an initial assessment within the first 30 calendar days, the student may not have an individualized education program (IEP) designating the student to take an alternate assessment prepared in time. In these instances, the student should be assessed with the Initial ELPAC using universal tools and designated supports as appropriate. If the IEP team determines at a later date that the student is eligible to take alternate assessments and the student is identified as an English learner (EL), the student should be assigned the Summative Alternate ELPAC.
To assist the CALPADS coordinator in preenrolling students over the summer, LEA ELPAC coordinators should provide a list of students who must take the Initial ELPAC or Initial Alternate ELPAC.
For your information, and as stated in the CALPADS Flash #219 , CALPADS coordinators must submit the following information to preenroll students and generate SSIDs for newly enrolled students:
- A Student Enrollment (SENR) record with the student's expected first day of school
- A Student Information (SINF) record with the student's address
- Submit Student English Language Acquisition (SELA) records with an English Language Acquisition Status (ELAS) of To Be Determined (TBD), a primary language other than English or American Sign Language, and an ELAS Start Date on or after July 1, 2022, if testing during the summer.
July 5: Initial ELPAC and Initial Alternate ELPAC Window Opens
The 2022–23 Initial ELPAC and Initial Alternate ELPAC window opens on July 5, 2022, and closes June 30, 2023. Students who did not complete Initial ELPAC testing in 2021–22 will be required to be assessed in their new grade level. This includes entering K–12 Speaking and K–2 Writing scores into the Data Entry Interface and scoring the Writing domain for grades three through twelve in the Teacher Hand Scoring System .
July 5: Initial ELPAC and Initial Alternate ELPAC DFAs Available
The Directions for Administration (DFAs) previously available in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) have been removed. The DFAs are now available for download by navigating to the [Resources] tab on the top navigation bar in TOMS .
Early August: Prepare for Alternate ELPAC SSR Electronic Distribution
The 2021–22 Alternate ELPAC Student Score Reports (SSRs) will be available in early August. Ensure SSRs are populated in the student information system for the correct students in a timely manner, as outlined on the SSR Options web page. Ensure the SSRs are properly displayed, parents/guardians can access the SSRs, and they can access only the scores for their own children. Parents/Guardians must be notified of their child's results within the first 15 working days of the new academic year. The SSRs may be combined with the new annual parent/guardian notification letters for students taking the alternate assessments. This letter is available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Parent Notification web page.
To register or find additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the ELPAC Training Opportunities web page.
July 6–27: Interim and Formative Assessment Training Series
This training series will provide direct, online training focused on the interim and formative components of the Smarter Balanced comprehensive system of assessments. All California educators and administrators are welcome to register now .
July 12–August 3: CERS Training
This training is designed for staff and teachers who have access to, or manage, LEA use of the California Educator Reporting System (CERS). To register for this coordinator and administrator training, go to the Introduction to CERS for Test Coordinators and Administrators registration web page. To register for the teacher-focused training, go to the Introduction to CERS for Teachers registration web page.
July 22: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
This July 2022 Coffee Session will focus on preparing for the Initial ELPAC and Initial Alternate ELPAC. Use the 2022–23 CAASPP–ELPAC Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
August 4, 11, and 18: Assessment and Accountability, 2–4 p.m.
Registration is now open for the 2022 Assessment and Accountability Information Meeting (AAIM), hosted by the CDE. The two-hour meeting sessions will provide coordinators with the latest information and updates on California's assessment and accountability systems. Send questions in advance by submitting them on an AAIM Q&A Form and register on the 2022 AAIM registration web page.
August 5: Initial ELPAC AST LEA Certification Deadline
The mandatory 2022–23 Initial ELPAC Administration and Scoring Training (AST), available in Moodle , includes new and improved content and organization based on feedback from the field. LEA certification or verification must be completed by August 5, 2022. The training binder remains unchanged. LEAs with a new coordinator or trainer may request printed copies of the training binder on the AST website.
August 9: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
Beginning in August 2022, Coffee Sessions will occur every second Tuesday of the month. Register now on the 2022–23 Coffee Sessions registration web page. Use the 2022–23 CAASPP–ELPAC Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
August 12: Initial Alternate ELPAC AST
The Initial Alternate ELPAC AST is available in Moodle . LEA certification must be completed by August 12, 2022, and is only required for LEAs with eligible students. The training contains information on how to identify potential EL students with the most significant cognitive disabilities as determined by their IEP team. The training is based on whether the LEA ELPAC coordinator or designee has been previously certified or is new. Initial Alternate ELPAC picture cards can be ordered on the AST website. Additional information was sent in the Initial Alternate ELPAC AST Moodle Opening Wednesday email on May 31, 2022.
New ELPAC Coordinator Training
Did you miss the New ELPAC Coordinator Training hosted in June by county office of education partners? Email email@example.com to receive the notetaking guide and connect with your local regional assessment network.
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
- Initial ELPAC Online Test Administration Manual
- Checklists for the 2022–23 test administration on the Manuals and Instructions web page
- ELPAC and Alternate ELPAC Secure Destruction and Return Instructions
Web Page Updates
- Initial ELPAC Test Administration web page
- Summative ELPAC Test Administration web page
- Initial Alternate ELPAC About web page (new)
- Summative Alternate ELPAC About web page (new)
- Initial Alternate ELPAC Test Administration web page (new)
- Summative Alternate ELPAC Test Administration web page (new)
- Alternate ELPAC Resources web page
- Alternate ELPAC FAQs web page
- Test Security web page
- The online form is no longer available, and LEAs can now use the ELPAC Test Security Affidavit for 2022–23 web document to collect forms locally.
- Parent/Guardian Resources web page
- ELPAC Sample Student Score Reports (SSRs) web page
Confirm the Accuracy of Role Designations in the CSD
The TOMS superintendent role is automatically assigned to LEA superintendents and charter school administrators listed in the California School Directory (CSD). Administrators of direct funded charter schools should ensure that the person named in the Administrator field in the CSD is the primary site administrator for the school with the authority to designate such roles as LEA ELPAC coordinator.
Previous ELPAC Monthly Communications
Previous ELPAC monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the ELPAC Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to email@example.com.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant for LEA help, which is available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page