ELPAC: Closing out the 2020–2021 Administration
ELPAC email update, May 25, 2021.
Dear LEA ELPAC Coordinator:
The Initial ELPAC administration will close on June 30, 2021. The extension of the statewide testing window means that the Summative ELPAC administration will close on July 30, 2021. This email provides local educational agencies (LEAs) with reminders about how to close out the year, considering this unique extension.
Summative ELPAC Student Testing Criteria
The following is a list of reminders for administering the Summative ELPAC within the extended testing window:
- Students must remain enrolled in the current school and grade in CALPADS until July 1.
- Students who will be testing during the extended window should not be exited from CALPADS before July 1, 2021.
- Any student newly enrolled in the LEA on or after July 1, 2021, will not be eligible to test during the extended testing window.
- An Appeal must be filed before the end of the testing window. Once the testing window closes, students cannot resume testing. Submit any Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System (STAIRS) cases to re-open or reset tests a week before the end of the testing window, if applicable.
2020–2021 Initial ELPAC Directions for Administration Moves on June 11, 2021
The Initial ELPAC Directions for Administration (DFAs) for the 2020–2021 administration year will be removed in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) during the planned system maintenance that starts on June 12, 2021, as part of the rollover to the new administration year. The 2021–2022 Initial ELPAC DFAs will replace the 2020–2021 DFAs in TOMS. LEAs that have tests scheduled after June 11 are advised to download the necessary DFAs prior to June 11, 2021. After June 11, 2021, the 2020–2021 DFAs will be available to download only in the Moodle Training Site under the 2020–2021 Computer-based Initial ELPAC Downloads section.
2020–2021 Initial ELPAC Administration Concludes June 30, 2021
All Initial ELPAC testing must be completed by June 30, 2021—the Initial ELPAC is not affected by the extension of the summative testing window. All four domains must be attempted to receive a Student Score Report (SSR).
Students who do not meet the following criteria by June 30, 2021 will count as not-tested and will need to take the Initial ELPAC again during the 2021–2022 administration:
- Attempt all four domains.
- Enter Speaking scores into the Data Entry Interface (DEI) .
- Enter the kindergarten through grade two (K–2) Writing domain scores into the DEI .
- Score the Writing Domain for grades three through twelve in the Teacher Hand Scoring System (THSS) .
- Download and provide SSRs and the Parent/Guardian Notification Letter that is available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Parent Notification web page.
In addition, an Appeal must be filed before the end of the testing window. Once the testing window closes, students cannot resume testing. LEAs should submit any STAIRS cases to re-open or reset tests a week before the end of the testing window to ensure that they can be processed in a timely manner. Failure to complete these steps will result in students having to retake the Initial ELPAC the following year. The Completion Status Report, in TOMS , will provide information on which students are missing domains.
For additional guidance, refer to the Where to Submit Answers for the 2020–21 ELPAC web document on the CDE CA Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix web page and the Scoring for the Computer-based ELPAC web page on the ELPAC website.
Secure Destruction of Initial ELPAC Materials by July 30, 2021
Please follow the directions in the Action Required! Initial ELPAC Test Materials Return or Destruction Certification email that will be sent in June. The 2019–2020 Edition 1 Materials and used 2020–2021 Form 1 Writing Answer Books must be securely destroyed or shipped back to ETS for destruction by Friday, July 30, 2021.
2020–2021 Summative ELPAC Administration Concludes July 30, 2021
The Summative ELPAC administration window closes on July 30, 2021. To properly close out the Summative ELPAC administration,
- ensure all four domains are completed;
- submit any STAIRS cases a week before the end of the testing window, if applicable.
- enter Speaking scores into the DEI immediately after administering and before July 30, 2021; and
- return all completed K–2 Writing Answer Books by August 16, 2021.
Administering the 2020–2021 Initial and Summative ELPAC to Newly Enrolled Students
For the 2020–2021 school year, LEAs have 75 calendar days to identify students for the Initial ELPAC, notify parents/guardians of Initial ELPAC testing, test the students, and notify parents/guardians of the results. If these actions have been completed and sufficient time remains to administer the Summative ELPAC, the decision to do so will be at the LEA's discretion, depending on whether the LEA is electing to extend its administration window to July 30, 2021, and they are able to assess students.
Keep in mind that any student identified as an English learner on the basis of the results from the Initial ELPAC will be included in the LEA's 2020–2021 Summative ELPAC eligibility list and will be counted as non-testers if they are not tested.
Answer Books for the Summative ELPAC Writing Domain
For students who are tested after May 31, 2021, no month is listed for June and July on the Answer Book. Therefore, LEAs should leave the date testing completed "blank" for the K–2 Writing domain or the emergency form Answer Books and they will be defaulted to the following based on when they are received and processed:
|Date Received and Processed by ETS||Default "Date Testing Completed" for K–2 Writing Domain or Emergency Form Answer Books|
|6/01/21 to 6/30/21||5/31/21|
|7/01/21 to 7/30/21||6/30/21|
|8/01/21 to 8/13/21||7/30/21|
General questions about the ELPAC should be directed to CalTAC, by phone at 800-955-2954 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.