ELPAC: February Monthly Update
ELPAC email update, February 2, 2021.
ELPAC Monthly Communication
This communication includes information about the Initial, Summative, and Alternate ELPAC.
Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
Please mark your calendars!
February 1, 2021
Summative ELPAC Administration Window Opens!
The Summative ELPAC administration window opened on February 1, 2021, and will remain open until May 31, 2021. To properly administer the Summative ELPAC, test examiners should:
- Complete Summative ELPAC Speaking certification in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle)for the grade levels or grade spans they are administering.
- Enter scores into the Data Entry Interface immediately after administering the Speaking domain. For more information, refer to How to Enter Scores for the Computer-Based Summative ELPAC Speaking Domain quick reference guide.
- Access the Directions for Administration (DFAs) corresponding to their LEA's form assignment in TOMS.
Remote Administration Addendums
To prepare for remote administration, test examiners should download from Moodle one or more of the following corresponding addenda, which include the logon instructions:
- Kindergarten through Grade 2 (K–2) Remote Administration Addendum for test examiners, including the Answer Book PDF and the Student Writing Response Sheets
- Grades 3–12 Remote Group Administration Addendum for test examiners
- Grades 3–12 Remote Administration Addendum for parents/guardians and students
Test examiners should also review the available remote testing training videos on the Spring Administration Information for educators website .
Return K–2 Writing Answer Books
Please remember to return K–2 Writing Answer Books and follow the Summative ELPAC Packing and Return Instructions. The first two dates to return completed K–2 Writing Answer Books to ETS for scoring are February 12 and 26, 2021.
February 4–25, 2021
Office Hours and Coffee Sessions
LEA staff are invited to ask questions and get answers about the spring assessments and multiple administration options at the Assessment Office Hours and Coffee Sessions as described in the CAASPP and ELPAC: NEW--Assessment Office Hours and Coffee Sessions email.
The Assessment Office Hours are open to anyone interested in learning more about the CAASPP and ELPAC administrations this spring. During Office Hours, the CDE and ETS will present updates, provide technical support, and allow time for questions and answers. Each week, we will cover a topic of interest about the assessment process in California.
Coffee Sessions will be held every other week and are entirely dedicated to answering questions about the assessments posed by testing coordinators at schools, LEAs, and county offices of education.
February 24, 2021
ELPAC Video Student Score Reports Webinar
An informational webinar will be presented on February 24, 2021, from 1–2 p.m., which includes a preview of video Student Score Reports (SSRs) for the Summative ELPAC and information about the following:
- Benefits of video SSRs
- Which languages are available
- How to purchase and provide SSRs to parents/guardians
Registration is closed.
February 25, 2021
New Coordinator Webinar #4
The next webinar for new coordinators will take place on February 25, 2021, from 3–4 p.m. This webinar provides LEA ELPAC coordinators who have been in their role for less than 12 months or want a refresher on the coordinator responsibilities with information about the following:
- A deep dive into the STAIRS process and types of security incidents
- Question and answer session with experienced coordinators
Registration is closed.
Stopping Marker Reminders
The stopping marker is followed by an [End Test] button. As described in the DFAs, the [End Test] button should be used only when there have been no responses or no correct responses prior to the stopping marker.
Please ensure that all test examiners have been trained and certified in Moodle , are familiar with the DFAs before administering the test, and appropriately follow the directions on how and when to use the stopping markers.
Test Security Affidavit for Non-TOMS Users
All non-TOMS users who have access to secure ELPAC materials are required to sign and submit a 2020–2021 Test Security Affidavit for Non TOMS Users . Site coordinators will receive an email for each of their staff who have completed this form. For tracking purposes, LEA ELPAC coordinators can reach out to CalTAC to request a list of users who signed this form.
Educator Opportunities for the ELPAC and Alternate ELPAC
New opportunities for educators to participate in the development of the ELPAC and the Alternate ELPAC are available on the ELPAC and Alternate ELPAC Opportunities to Get Involved web page. New users can simply create an account in the Educator Opportunities Portal. Existing users can go directly to the Educator Opportunities Portal . For questions about how to get involved in these educator opportunities, please contact the CAASPP and ELPAC Project Team, by phone at 916-228-2682 or by email at email@example.com.
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
The following videos are available in Moodle . The YouTube link will be available February 3, 2021.
- Scheduling, Starting and Stopping a Remote Test Session
- Summative K–2 ELPAC Remote Testing—Listening and Reading
- Summative K–2 ELPAC Remote Testing—Writing
- Summative K–12 ELPAC—Speaking
- Spring Administration Information for educators website
- Spring Administration Information for parents and guardians website
- Alternate ELPAC FAQs web page
- The ELPAC website has been updated to acknowledge the postponement of the Alternate ELPAC Operational Field Test. FAQs are the best way to get more information on the postponement.
- Alternate ELPAC Administration and Scoring Trainings web page
- Downloading the Secure Browser on a Mac Computer
- Starting and Stopping an in-person Test Session
- How to Give a Remote Test
- How to Take a Remote Test for Parents/Guardians and Students
2021–22 Initial ELPAC Administration and Scoring Training
Statewide training is mandatory and will be delivered virtually through Moodle . Each LEA is required to complete the online certification one time for the 2020–21 and 2021–22 administrations. All LEA ELPAC coordinators will need to confirm that this requirement has been met through the Computer-based Initial ELPAC Administration and Scoring Trainings web page beginning April 12, 2021. Moodle will open April 12, 2021. More details will be provided in a separate email to be sent in March.
The training binder remains unchanged for the 2021–22 administration. Only LEAs with a new coordinator or trainer will need to order a training binder. Starting March 15, 2021, you may request one or more printed copies of the Initial ELPAC Administration and Scoring Training binder to be shipped by completing the online request process. Training binders will also be available in PDF format for download in Moodle .
2021–22 Alternate ELPAC Administration and Scoring Training
LEA coordinators and test examiners who have already completed the LEA certification course for Alternate ELPAC training in Moodle will not have to certify again. Please note that LEAs should be preparing and training test examiners based on the grade levels of the students they are expected to teach next year. Note that Moodle will remain open for continued training and certification of test examiners. If an LEA has not yet completed the LEA certification course, please use this spring and summer to prepare for the upcoming operational field test and train staff members on test administration. Current binders and training materials are still valid and should be securely retained and used to train and prepare test examiners. Any new components added to the training courses will be announced and will need to be completed prior to administering the Alternate ELPAC.
Binders will continue to be shipped, at no cost, to LEAs that want them. LEAs may order as many training binders as needed. The draft DFAs posted in Moodle can still be used for training and preparation for test examiners. LEAs will be notified when the final DFAs are posted and will be contacted in the fall with any updates.
Access to Previous ELPAC Monthly Communications
Previous ELPAC monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the ELPAC Coordinator Emails web page.
General questions about the ELPAC should be directed to CalTAC, by phone at 800-955-2954 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.