ELPAC: February Monthly Update
ELPAC email update, February 1, 2023.
ELPAC Communication: February 2023
This communication includes information about the Initial, Summative, Initial Alternate, and Summative Alternate ELPAC.
Complete the Required LEA Certification Now
The LEA certification deadline has passed. Any LEAs that are not yet certified must access the statewide Summative ELPAC and Summative Alternate ELPAC Administration and Scoring Trainings (ASTs) in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) . Trainings are required annually and must be completed by all LEAs for the Summative ELPAC and by all LEAs with eligible students for the Summative Alternate ELPAC as soon as possible. Moodle keys are available on the AST website . Direct questions about trainings to Moodle Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 1: Summative ELPAC and Summative Alternate ELPAC Testing Window Opens
The Summative ELPAC and Summative Alternate ELPAC test administration window opens on February 1, 2023, and is available through May 31, 2023. For each assessment, test examiners need to complete training prior to administration. Summative ELPAC test examiners must complete the Speaking calibration for the grade levels or grade spans they are administering.
To register or locate additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the ELPAC Upcoming Training Opportunities web page.
February 9: Pretest Virtual Training Series, 2–4 p.m.
The two-hour Pretest Virtual Training Series session on Administering and Monitoring Testing will provide LEA CAASPP and ELPAC coordinators with information on how to use the Test Administrator Interface to monitor students during testing and how to use the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) and the Completion Status Reporting System to monitor student test assignment, completion, and reporting. Send questions in advance by submitting them on a Pretest Virtual Training Series Q&A Form .
February 14: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
Register now for the February 2023 Coffee Session . Use the Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
February 15 and 21: Data-Driven Decision-Making Training Series for Educational Leaders (Module 3)
This training series consists of four 90-minute modules. Module 3 will cover how data in the California Educator Reporting System can lead to the use of Tools for Teachers, the Smarter Balanced Content Explorer, Lexile and Quantile scores, the Smarter Annotated Response Tool, and information on accessibility resources. Team attendance is encouraged, and teams can include assessment coordinators (LEA or site level), curriculum leads, teacher leaders, or coaches.
February 21: Tools for Teachers Shared Practices, 3:30–4:30 p.m.
Join fellow educators for the Supporting Student Success with Interim Assessments and Tools for Teachers installment of the Tools for Teachers Shared Practices Webinar Series ! Each webinar in the series features California educators sharing how they use Tools for Teachers and related resources to support teaching and learning in the classroom.
February 23: New Coordinator Training Webinar #4, 3–4 p.m.
The New Coordinator Training Webinar #4 will provide a review of upcoming coordinator checklist tasks, dive into resources for security and the Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System, and include a question and answer session with experienced coordinators.
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
- How to Start a Summative ELPAC Test Session
- How to Start a Summative Alternate ELPAC Test Session
- How to Start a Remote ELPAC Test Session Grades 3–12
- How to Start a Remote ELPAC Test Session K–2
Web Page Updates
- Parent/Guardian Notification: Summative Alternate ELPAC Testing Notification Letter Templates web page
- Second Scoring Process (for the CAA for ELA and the Summative ELPAC)
- Using the Online Practice and Training Tests
Accessibility Resources Virtual Training Series
This asynchronous training provides guidance on the appropriate assignment of accessibility resources in the classroom for the CAASPP and the ELPAC. All embedded videos on this web page should be watched in their entirety and in the order listed. Visit the ELPAC Accessibility Resources Virtual Training Series web page for video modules and resources.
Form Assignments and Second Scoring Assignments
LEA ELPAC coordinators can access all Directions for Administration (DFA) forms in TOMS. Test examiners can only access the DFAs corresponding to their LEA's form assignment in TOMS. Form assignments and second scoring assignments for the 2022–23 test administration are available on the following web pages:
- Form Assignments for the Summative ELPAC Administration
- Form Assignments for the Summative Alternate ELPAC Administration
- Second Scoring Assignments for the Summative Alternate ELPAC Administration
ELPAC: The Results Are In—Now What? New Modules 11 through 14 Available
Modules 11 through 14, available in Moodle , are new and focus on the Writing task types. These modules demonstrate how to use data to advance English language proficiency through high-leverage instructional sequences. Participants will use a protocol linking two of the more difficult ELPAC task types to robust classroom instruction that can be used to create ELPAC-like assessments in context. Video clips, student work, and reflections from the implementation of these practices with English learner students will be shared. Be sure to provide your feedback after each video.
Previous ELPAC Monthly Communications
Previous ELPAC monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the ELPAC Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to email@example.com.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant for LEA help, which is available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page